Sunday, November 11, 2007

Good Taste, History, and Space Ghost

Despite being an extremely abstract concept, I think there are some objective qualities to "good taste". One of them, is time. If The Used and Thrice are still your favorite bands to the day, may God help you, but I honestly would respect your taste more than I would have if you told me that five years ago. Why? Because clearly there is some quality about these bands that you like that have stood the test of time. Whatever it may be, it hasn't faded away like the band's popularity, creativity, and careers have. Its a history lesson and the lesson is trying to say something about taste!!!

Recently I decided that Broken Social Scene wasn't my favorite band anymore. Although they have the potential to be the best band in the world, they aren't able / don't know how to harness it. Their latest offer was unfortunately a let down, and their self titled album always had my focus shifted elsewhere; to the bootlegs of the past, and the recordings of the future. But You Forgot It In People is still perfect right? Thats when I'm beginning to doubt myself.

So where do I go from here? The clear heir to the throne is Pavement, but I don't listen to them nearly as much as I do the runner-up, Of Montreal. I decided however that Of Montreal (or BSS for that matter) will not stand the test of time nearly as well as Pavement. And heres why. The best bands exist outside of their albums. Pavement left us with five full lengths to judge them by. But more importantly, they had a personality that will live on forever. Why is it so hard to pick the best Beatles album? Because their albums don't mean shit, its the sum of their legacy and personality that lives on forever.

While its hard for people born in the 80s to get a feel for Pavement's (a band that existed solely in the 90s, the majority of the time under the radar) personality, the avid fan finds little clues everywhere. For example, take a look at exhibit A. These minute and a half videos encapsulate everything Pavement.



4 comments:

Gage Herrmann said...

Cool Space Ghost videos.
Am I weird for eljoying all the bands you mentioned and at the same time being a Thrice fan?
I'd say their new album is about as experimental and artistic as you can get while still remaining in a Taking Back My Dashboard Confessional Romance type of market. Thrice are lightyears ahead of those bands.

POWMIA said...

Nah, I think you represent the audience of Thrice who legitimately likes and respects them as time goes on, and therefore can say you have consistent (good) taste.

I guess its easier to identify bad taste than it is good taste. Ask someone who has ditched Thrice and The Used as their popularity faded what their favorite music is now. Its likely that they'll answer some new band that we can objectively label as "BAD"!!!

Gage Herrmann said...

I kind of understand what you're saying now. The thing many people liked about them was their "relevance". They probably lost all those fans after their last two efforts.
That's a pretty deep thought Ryan. Keep this blog up. I'm enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.